Drop Down Menu's



Thursday, July 18, 2013

Gexup - My Top Dozen Animated Movies based on an Animated Series

Animated movies based on cartoons banner photo Slide1_zps52af5efa.jpg


Being a huge fan of animated television series, I always feel that the best way you can satisfy its fans is to give the show an adaption to an animated film. It’s almost like a grand finale that’s bigger than a tv show finale or a finest moment for the characters of the show. Whenever there’s a movie that’s based on a show that I like, I always appear at opening day in my local theater.  There have been plenty of animated shows that managed to have their own animated feature but it has to be really popular to even get itself a theatrical release, which is something that doesn’t happen that often any more. But no matter, as long as it’s a feature length film, (theatrical release or direct-to-home movies) it is a possible contender to make it on the list but here’s the catch… in order to make it in my list they have to follow these rules:

  1. The animation quality has to be better than the show - I mean it’s a feature length film; they should have the budget to actually make something fantastic for us animation buffs.  If the animation quality is not much of an improvement over the show, then it looses its ranking to rise to the top or not even make it in this dozen list.
  2. The story has to be better than any episode from the show – It doesn’t have to be better written than the best episode of the show, but dammit we need to show the movie audience why the show is so good. They have to make a show that’s more memorable and exciting than the show. If you’re going to make a film based on a show, don’t ever miss the opportunity to 'wow' your fans of the show because it’s the grand stage that only happen once (or more if the show’s popular enough to have more film sequels)
  3. It has to be based on a cartoon or anime, NOT comic books – My list of the best comic book movies will be coming soon, but for now, I’m only focusing on the animated series that popularized itself to be on the big screen.  I can’t qualify a movie that’s based on a television series that’s base on a comic book because it’s the comic book alone that earned itself to make it’s own film release, not the television series that’s based on the comic book. Because there are shows that I really like (Batman: The Animated Series, Spider-Man, X-Men) that had a really great television series, but its source is comics. However, anime based on a manga is an exception because we North Americans are more familiar with anime than we are manga.
  4. The movie based on an animated series has to be animated – I cannot qualify a live-action movie that’s based on an animated series because they do not represent animation nor do they show the animator’s true potential. Plus there has been HORRIBLE live-action films that are based on animated series that bastardized the cartoons that we love. This list is all about the animated movies, and if it’s not an animated movie, then it can’t make it in this list.



Now with all that being said, I hope you have a better understanding with my very own picks. So let’s begin this list... and remember this is my list, not yours… and if you don’t like it, don’t bitch about it.






Number 12 - The Man Called Flintstone



The Flintstones was the first animated series that managed to air on prime time and no doubt that the show was destined to make their own film. This was an interesting adaptation to a film because the story of The Man Called Flintstone is when Fred Flintstone was to substitute for a secret agent named Rock Slag who looks completely identical to Fred himself.

Fred's assigned to work in France in search of a criminal mastermind called the Green Goose, but he has to tag his family and Barney's family along with him without knowing he's undercover due to the fact that they were going on vacation. It's interesting to see Fred in a situation where he's living in two different situations; a family vacation and secret agent. Fred, now living in Rock Slag's life, he discovers the dangers he put himself through and even encounter the women that Rock was involved with, which furthers the frustration in keeping all of it from his family. 

Even though that this is probably Hanna-Barbra's most successful animated film that managed to make it in theaters, there's a couple of reasons why it's at the bottom of the list. It has the exact same animation quality to the Flintstones show and that stupid sing-a-longs were from forgettable (at best) to unnecessary (at worst).  I mean, even when I was a kid I always had to fast-forward that pointless sing-a-long sang by Bam-Bam and Pebbles. And finally, all that anticipation to see what the Green Goose looks like towards at the 3rd half of the film was disappointing. All the more reasons why I put it so low in this dozen list, but I still managed to make it in there for personal nostalgic reasons... it's better than some of the episodes of the show







Number 11 - Recess: School's Out


Recess is one of those cartoon series that was made for kids who goes to school, attempting to make it look fun and take creative situations for each episode. This theatrical film was a goofy and fun adventure for our favorite kids from the show. In this film, all of TJ's friends are going to summer camp and he's the only one that didn't have any plans for summer other than spending time with them throughout their break. 

Since he has not much to do, after snooping around back in school he notices weird activities going on the school. Since no one believes TJ, he has to bring his friends from camp back to his town and work together to stop this monstrosity.  Why do these villains who want to take over the world want to be located in school? I'll never understand the logic, but it's one of those campy stories that actually want to use kids to beat bad-guys. this was all cheesy fun that was more fun than the actual cartoon itself. I laughed a lot with this feature and it had plenty of surprises and entertainment value. What's great about this film is that you don't have to be a fan of the show to enjoy this movie. When I first saw Recess: School's Out, I never knew that it was based on the cartoon and when I got a chance to see it on the Disney Channel, it was my opportunity to see this cartoon. Nevertheless it was a fun flick for everyone to enjoy. 




Number 10 - The Powerpuff Girls Movie


Believe it or not, I was the only boy who saw this in theaters and I didn't have that many (guy) friends who actually likes the Powerpuff Girls because it was a show targeted for girls. I only had friends who were girls that got me comfortable to watch the show. The new shows that Cartoon Network were introduced were all fun to watch like Cow n' Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, and the rest. You know what? I like the Powerpuff Girls the most because it was action backed, cleverly written (for a superhero show) and for a girl's show it was a bit violent for that audience, so how could I not like it? 

The movie on the other hand, it told an origin story about how these three little girls, Bubbles, Blossom, and Buttercup were to be that was not explained in the theme song that always tells us about their creation. It's an interesting point of view where it all started where the girls tries to understand what it means to be a superhero and also how to have a childhood. I mean, a city that doesn't have superheroes to fear girls with such powers was great look at their origins as they were despised and were outcasted from society. The animation quality was outstanding as it was an improvement to jump to flash while the traditional animation was kinda getting less qualitative for the general audience. During its release, there was no way that this film could of been a blockbuster success due to the fact that it was competing against another superhero film...


Don't lie, The Spider-Man film was more exciting to see than The Powerpuff Girls Movie, even though the Spider-Man 2002 movie has really aged terribly. Due to the fact that the Powerpuff Girls Movie failed a the box office there's no way that Cartoon Network or Ted Turner would even consider another theatrical animated movie. But even though there has been plenty of animated movies based on Cartoon Network's show that were only televised, The Powerpuff Girls movies still is the best film done by CN because of it's emotional value and how well told the story was... even despite it's cheesy humor. 




Number 9 - The Simpsons Movie
I've been a long time Simpsons fan ever since I kept disobeying my parents from watching the show at a very young age. All of us Simpsons fans has so desired for a Simpsons movie. I mean, all the possibilities of creating such a memorable experience to make us laugh so hard was highly expected. But as the years go by, the show got less and less funny for the sake that they're trying to be (not Family Guy, but) a more mature Spongebob Squarepants. To be honest, the Simpson's movie was released too late because it's popularity/appeal has sunk after Season 12. But judging this film on its own merits, it was a pretty funny film (not quite as funny as the show's early run). Heck, it's been years since I've laughed at a Simpsons joke... not to mention Spider-Pig that had me laughing in tears.

The hype for this film was crazy because everyone in the world wanted to see how good this film was. Anyone who made a post about the Simpsons movie or Simpsons in general back in 2007 had a lot of views.  Having the town of Springfield to go after the Simpsons isn't really that new but at this extent of violence, hatred, and intensity that the family has ever had with the townsfolk, it made it such an exciting film because it was Homer's fault for Springfield's soon to be destruction, as they were all trapped in a gigantic glass-dome. This was something we all wanted to see, but I'm really surprised at the praise that this film has gotten because we all still have a special place in our hearts for the Simpsons. There has been plenty of jokes that are hit or miss for me but it was enjoyable from start to finish. Heck, I choose this film over South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut any day. 






Number 8 - Pokémon 3: Spell of the Unknown


The last Pokemon film released in the American theaters so happens to be the BEST of the Pokemon film series. Why? Because this film is not your traditional Pokemon film.  It basically took a Legendary Pokemon (Unown and Ente) that goes beyond the standards of a Pokemon plot and it so happens to be so much better than any Pokemon episode from the anime. This is basically a fairytale about a little girl name Molly who lost her only living family member (her father) and wished for him to come back. With the powers of the Pokemon called the Unown who grants her wish and gave her Ente to replace her father, all of her wishes will come true and no one is able to stop her. No way in any shape of form is Molly at all a spoiled brat, instead this is a VERY sympathetic little girl that lost her family and this is the only way to make her happy.

I was very surprised at the emotion value that this very movie offered to its audience. There were some points of the film where I nearly cried for such a tragic girl who doesn't have anything left without the wishes that are granted for her. It's kinda weird for me to put this movie over the Simpsons movie because I praised this movie long enough. Heck, I even put this film in my Top 10 Favorite Video Game Movies because of its atmosphere and captivating story. The adventure of Ash, Misty, and Brock to rescue Molly was some of the best adventures that they ever had in the whole series, especially that epic fight between Ente and Charizard. But I'll say it once and I'll say it a thousand times more... the only reason why this movie can't be the top for me because Team Rocket always comes in at the wrong times making them truly unnecessary characters. They are the single reason why I'm always an on-and-off Pokemon fan. If only someone could rip-off this movie's story and make a better film (just like Avatar ripped-off Ferngully) then you'll realize how suspenseful it is to see how far a little girl can go in trying to keep herself happy.





Number 7 - Rugrats In Paris




While Pokemon was immensely popular in the late 90's, Nickelodeon still has had a huge fanbase for Rugrats. I really don't know why I was a huge fan of the Rugrats cartoons to begin with (other than trying to see something that's animated) but I just like the adventure these babies end up without really knowing what's going on. I did try to get into the Rugrats Movie (the first one that is) but it wasn't as good as what I remembered. The sequel on the other hand was vastly superior than the original film.

Why is it that you may ask? Because it was nothing more than a fun vacation film where the families goes to Paris and end up to Raptar-land. Oh my god, this film was hysterical having none of these babies to know what's going on nor do they understand what some things were meant to be. The main focus of this movie is basically Chucky who doesn't have a mother, but his father is search for one. However it's up to the babies to make sure that he doesn't marry the wrong one. We're introduced to a new character Kimi (who's just there to be the asian character of the show) just like the first one introduces Tommy's baby brother Dil. It's funny how this film has gone so over the top that it's very entertaining with it's thrilling rides and even its gross-out humor. I mean right in the beginning of the film they had to reference the Godfather for good laughs. Not to mention the highlight of the whole series, Chucky controlling giant robot Reptar that was highly entertaining.



Number 6 - The Chipmunk Adventure


If there was another movie that had a better adventure than any Rugrats movie, it had to be the Chipmunk Adventure. I mean taking the story of Travel Around the World in 80 Days and put in an adventurous tone where the children finds it appeal is a win for me. I really have to say that this is my BIGGEST guilty pleasure when it comes to animated movies.  I'll be honest here, I did like Alvin at a VERY young age, but I can't really get into the cartoon anymore because its was a been-there-done-that cartoon (except for the Chipmunk at the movies specials, those were fantastic!) This is a race between the Chipmunks and the Chipettes traveling around in air balloons not knowing that they're delivering diamonds in their dolls.

Before you say that this film isn't anything special, you have to re-watch the Chipmunks cartoon series from the 80s because The Chipmunk Adventure is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the show and that's what I want to see in these animated movies base on a cartoon show. I could just glance at the backgrounds that has so much diversity of locations around the world, everything moving in this animation would make Disney weep, and... Oh my god... the sing-a-longs... they are some of the most catchiest and memorable songs I've ever seen in an animated film.










There are long time Chipmunk fans (from the 1950's) that agrees with me that this film was the highlight of the Chipmunks franchise. To ask why I'm a Chipmunks fan is like asking me why am I a fan of Rugrats or Pokemon. They were cartoons I grew up and there's no way my history with them could even indent my childhood love for them. As for the Chipmunk Adventure film, I just had a lot of nostalgic memories with this film because it was finally the only film where I was mesmerized with its animation quality and even the songs I could remember singing along with all my friends who grew up with this movie with me. For some odd reason, the more I watch it (even as a kid) the more I wished for another Alvin and the Chipmunks animated movie to be as magical and adventurous as this flick... not those bastardizing live-action movies


Number 5 - Beavis and Butthead: Do America




Oh, Mike Judge... you'll always will be an underrated animator and movie director.  Beavis and Butt-Head: Do America is something that South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, The Simpsons Movie, and all the other adult animated series that had their own movie couldn't accomplish; have a lot all of their jokes, adventures, and even the outcome to be not only funny but also unexpected. I mean they go far to have these two stupid idiots to do anything to loose their virginity, even if they're are suspected for high crimes while they're on the run. This almost sounded like a copy-cat of Dumb and Dumber but this road movie was just degenerated to the point where I couldn't breathe because the jokes were so good.

Watching this film again, I kinda miss those buddy-road trip-comedies that we had from the 90's and Beavis and Butthead: Do America is one that is to be remembered. Heck, I can go far as to say that this movie is actually better than all of the episodes of Beavis and Butthead, even the revived show that now on the air. I was worried if this movie is going to be exactly the same as the show just like Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie was. I was taken from their awkwardness, perverted nature, and their vulnerability to see how it all adds up to a memorable comedy.



Number 4 - Transformers: The Movie


Seriously... Fuck You, Michael Bay! This is how you make a Transformer's movie, not this pointless & embarrassing life story of Sia Lebeouf. When we want to see Transformers, dammit we want only the Transformers and their character development. I could care less if you see Transformers the 1986 movie to be just a commercial for the toys, it was everything that Transformers fans expected! Seriously, this movie threw everything at it's fans; the final battle of Optimus Prime and Megatron in the first 30 minutes of the film, characters dying left and right, and even new and appealing transformers that never were seen before.

This is the prime example of 80's nostalgia and it tried to bring a new generation of Transformers by ridding the old ones half way point of the film. This is one of the best animation quality that 80's animation had to offer, right behind Akira. Plus, let's not forget the most memorable soundtrack that gave us all hope and joy...




It's so sad to see that the Transformers could never be this appealing ever again after all the generation changes that has pass since then. I admit that I'm only a fan of Transformers Generation I and Beast Wars but this film is so watchable. I'm also shocked for a PG film it got away with the violence, disturbing images, and swearing in this film.  If you don't agree that this film deserves to be this high on the list, just imagine if you were a fan of a tv show and they had a movie based on that show, you can't want anything more than what was offered in this movie. If there's anything more that can be said about Transformers: The Movie, is that this is some of the most energetic and exciting animated film I can pick. And to even further this movies credibility, this was Orson Welles last role before he past away... enough said!









Number 3 - Futurama: Bender's Big Score



This was a fantastic return to the Futurama show after all the years of the show's absence. I have the credibility to call myself a huge Futurama fan because I was there to see the first episode back in 1999 and still to this day (unlike the Simpsons) I never lost interest with Futurama. When Futurama was cancelled back in the mid 2000's it instantly broke my heart that there's so much more to do with the show, but in 2008 a year after the Simpsons movie, this was first announced to be televised. It basically took another time traveling story but did it in a much creative and consistent way. Everyone nowadays always complains that time-traveling stories has too much plot-holes. So how would you know how time-traveling works? Every story of time-traveling has its own rules but Futurama: Bender's Big Score make so many creative decisions in telling us this type of story.

This is something that The Simpsons Movie failed to accomplish for me; give me all the jokes that are actually funny. Boy, after so many year of wanting the show back it had me rolling on the floor laughing so hard. This is basically a nonlinear story of seeing Fry in the past and the future without Fry. Whenever the movie gives us a surprise it leaves you wondering how on Earth did they do that. And before you say "plot-hole," the story from either the past or future shows us what happened. I never seen a time-traveling experience to be handled so creatively like this. Plus this was something I always wanted to see, the peak of Fry and Leela's relationship and Bender's funniest moments that keeps getting better. I'm glad that Futurama never had changed, except the character development in comparison to when the show first began.

The movie did span-off more sequels, like a Beast with a Billion Backs, Bender's Game, and Into The Green Yonder,  before they could do the regular half-hour show like they used to, but Bender's Big Score still holds as the most well written, best story, the funniest, and even the most satisfying out of the Futurama movies.




Number 2 - A Goofy Movie



Now this is what I really want to see in an animated movie based on a cartoon... the evolution of the characters since the last episode of the show was aired. Boy this was one hell of a popular movie growing up as a kid thanks to the impact known as the Disney Renaissance. This is an interesting evolution from the show where Max and Pete Junior are now in High School. They grew up into guys who wants to be popular and get the best looking girl. Right after Max got Roxanne, the girl of his dreams, out on a date, his father Goofy wants to restore his relationship with his son by going on a road trip across the country just to go fishing.

Right from the get go, this is clearly a father-son movie where it tell us the affects of growing up and how much life will change since then. Already above the age of 20, I can already relate to Max with this story because this film could just read your future as a child and say this is what you'll become and boy were they right. This should be in ranking as in my top 3 Disney movies from the Disney Renaissance for the fact that anyone can fully enjoy this movie. It's another one of those buddy-road trip-comedies that we got so very often in the 90's and the adventures of Max and Goofy were some of the best of that genre. Plus this film took risks where this was the first time we experience cartoon characters going through puberty and even seeing Goofy angry at his own son, something that we've never seen before. Also let's not forget that the soundtrack is simply amazing and it totally blows off Transformers: The Movie's OST off the water!




This movie never left me bored and I can distinctly remember my theatrical experience when this movie was still in theaters. I really don't know why animated movies nowadays can't be this exciting and memorable anymore but this movie never lost any appeal to its fans. This movie has all the qualities of being the best movie based on a tv show; it has really outstanding animation, a story that everyone can relate to once they hit puberty, and it holds up to being a true theatrical experience that all tv shows wish they could accomplish.  The only reason why this couldn't be number 1 for me is because I really wish we could have funny moments with Pete and his misery with is family. Pete's frustration with his wife and daughter is what makes Goof Troop stand out as being so funny to watch.  If you still haven't seen A Goofy Movie, I highly recommend you to not only watch it, but bring your family to see it with you. 







Number 1 - Cowboy Bebop: The Movie: Knocking on Heaven’s Door




If there's any movie that should of been in my Top 25 Animated Movies list, it had to be Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.  It basically captures everything that I love about this anime and even doubles the awesomeness to a truly spectacular action noir! What made Cowboy Bebop so great is that it abandons the traditions of anime cliches (like over the top expressions) and made a style that film makers from countries out of Japan to be appealing to the masses. I met people who despises anime to actually gave Cowboy Bebop a major acceptation and you need to watch the show to understand the reason why and compare it to other animes to see how different Bebop really is.

As for the movie however, you don't have to know anything about the show to get into the movie because it basically just shows you what the characters normally do on the show (catching bounties dead or alive) and abandons the story arcs from the show in order for it to be its own movie. Unlike some of the other encounters that Spike and the gang faced before, the main antagonist is Vincent who is a survivor on a chemical warfare and he wants to set that loose on mankind. It up to our heroes to capture him since there's a huge bounty on his head and also save mankind. Without a doubt, this movie offered the best soundtrack, atmosphere, and action that not only the series ever had, but never been seen in animation or film in general. I never seen such an animated film to be so riveting.

If you're not a fan of the show, you can jump into this movie and right after you finish the film I guarantee that you will get into the show. So many movies based on a tv show requires you to be a fan of the show first then watch the movie, but in Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, it basically just shows you what the show's about without forced exposition. I loved that there's no inconsistency between this movie and the show and I loved how well written and animated this show really is. It's times like this that I wished that there was at least one more Cowboy Bebop movie. Without a doubt, Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door is the best animated movie based on an Animated series and I'll continue to watch more for some inspiration!

So that's my Top Dozen Animated Movies based on an Animated Series. Be sure to give me your response and tell me what you think of these choices and also share me what are your favorite animated movies based on a cartoon or anime. Till then I'll you see on my next list...


Top Dozen Comic Book Movies photo Slide2_zps380bf89f.jpg